Wednesday, July 15, 2009

SJ Mercury News: Thoughts on Pablo Campos

Some thoughts on the Pablo Campos trade courtesy of the San Jose Mercury News...

Posted: 07/15/2009 03:45:33 PM PDT

Updated: 07/15/2009 03:45:34 PM PDT

The Earthquakes traded Brazilian forward Pablo Campos to Real Salt Lake on Wednesday for a 2010 second-round draft pick and a conditional second-round choice in 2011.

The primary motive for the deal was clearing another roster spot and more salary cap space as San Jose prepares to add players during the just-opened international transfer window.

Earthquakes General Manager John Doyle said the team is negotiating with a handful of players and conceivably could add as many as four in the coming days as San Jose (3-9-4) tries to salvage its season. Bolstering a weak midfield is the main objective, Doyle said.

But in order to create the flexibility to bring in help, Doyle and Coach Frank Yallop have been shipping out players in recent weeks. Campos, an imposing 6-foot-3 striker, was the latest casualty.

He scored two goals and added two assists in 14 games this season. While Campos showed flashes of brilliance with his ball skill, a lack of consistency made him expendable.

"Pablo has done fine for us," Yallop said. "But we're going to need the roster spots. He's a lovely kid. But he's going to a place that really wants him, and I wasn't sure Pablo was the right fit for what we're trying to do."

As for the transfer window, there were no announcements Wednesday — the first day teams could add players. Last year, the Earthquakes immediately announced the addition of Englishman Darren Huckerby and Brazilian midfielder Francisco Lima. This year, though, Doyle said negotiations with players have been more complicated.

The result is no players will be added in time to play for the Earthquakes when they meet the host Chicago Fire on Saturday night.