Monday, April 7, 2008

Weeks 1 & 2 thoughts

I'm baaaaackk!!!

And although I haven't yet properly watched an RSL game, I did watch Game1 via Tivo in fast forward mode, and I watched Game2 on the computer (not my idea of a good way to watch a soccer match). Here are a couple of my thoughts so far:
  • Disappointment - at this point in the season we had 2 points last season. We only have 1 now. We have looked good in spurts, but clearly have not "jelled or is it gelled?" at this point.
  • Our midfield has controlled possession much better than in the past, but has yet to put consistent pressure on the offensive side of the ball, and has had several bad giveaways that have led to dangerous opportunities for the opponent.
  • Our forwards have had some scoring chances, but have been unable to prove that they can finish.
  • Our outside backs have had some lapses that have led to goals. In addition, Mantilla had a poor effort in the last match.
  • Rimando has given up 4 goals, with only 6 saves. To be fair, the opportunities that have led to the goals have been easy chances for the opposition.

I also have questions about our tactical strategy. How will we use Deuchar? What will our midfield style/attributes be? Will we continue with the high, flat backline that seems to get us in trouble against quicker players, such as Galindo?

Many RSL fans are starting to worry that this is the same RSL horror flick that we've seen in the past just with some new actors. I say don't judge the movie entirely on the trailers we have seen before, but this won't keep the critics from giving a thumbs down if it continues much longer.

As for me, I'm just excited to finally see an RSL game this season properly. Come Saturday DCU represents a new act in our RSL movie - hopefully one that involves a "W" and 3 points.