Monday, April 14, 2008

Dignity? What About Respect?

Despite my better judgement, I am falling for this trap -http://rslfm.blogspot.com/2008/04/041408.html . If you read the opinion piece, I assume you'll find it as disturbing as I did. While I think some of the points are very accurate - we do need to put this in perspective - it turned into an attempt to take another jab at the coach and those fans who she views as too loyal for her liking. I respect the author, and the website for all that they contribute to the RSL community, but I can't support this opinion piece. Here is why...

Balance
I agree that this win does not a season make. It is clear that RSL was not facing DC's best eleven on Saturday. In fact, in many aspects of the game I felt like we played better in the first two games of the year than this one. The two things that we did extemely well in this one was to finish our shots (4 goals on 11 shots), and to avoid those second half defensive breakdowns. While this was our most lopsided victory in club history, it probably wasn't our finest victory. In fact, our two prior victories against DC were probably more meaningful. So I do agree that we need to view this victory with some balance and perspective.

Dignity
Dignity is defined as "bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation of the formality or gravity of an occasion or situation." My first reaction is why in the world are you asking fans of a professional sports team to show dignity? After all, fan is short for fanatic which is defined as "a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics." Go try to find any dignity among the DC fans about now. They are simply in denial. However, after the euphoria does wear off, I think that we do need to "show appreciation for the gravity of the situation". This victory, while sweet, surely doesn't prove Kreis' coaching capabilities or that this team is an MLS Cup contender or even a playoff contender. But let's also put this into perspective with the play in the first two matches (sorry RSLFM - you can't have it both ways). The excitement that is building wasn't just this victory - it is the general improved play that we have seen this season. Please accept that with dignity.

Respect
Whenever you are preaching about dignity, I would encourage you to embrace its close cousin, respect. I have an opinion about RSL. You have an opinion about RSL. Thousands of others have opinions about RSL. But in sharing our opinions, I don't believe that its appropriate to insult and denigrate the opinions of others. Using the term "fanboys" in a derogatory manner to try to marginalize the support that others give to the team is insulting and embarrasing. Suggesting that RSL fans can't show dignity or "class in victory" is equally embarassing. I am struggling to find the dignity in either of those comments.