Monday, May 5, 2008

Reserve Match Review: Sunday May 4, 2008

Reserve Match Review: RSL 5:LAG 2
Sunday May 4, 2008
(Review compliments of Derek Hoopes)

The wife and I made it up to Park City this past Sunday for our first visit to Quinn’s Junction Sports Complex and we absolutely enjoyed the experience. The setting was awesome with the surrounding mountains, the field (even though it was turf) was great, and the play was entertaining. If you are a Real Salt Lake soccer fan, you have to try it out soon. I highly recommend attending at least one of these games this year. We set up our folding chairs right next to the touch-line, so we were pretty much right on top of the action. It is completely different to watch a game this close to the field. The pace of the players seems much faster up close. And you can’t beat the price…it’s FREE! Also, if you have kids that are looking for autographs or the chance to meet some of the players, there is no better place to make that happen.

Though I was unable to concentrate on as many details of the game as I would have liked, I still came away with a few impressions and they are as follows:

Yura Movsisyan: We missed the very beginning of the game, so we did not see his quick goal in the first minute of play. Maybe that would have altered my opinion of his performance, but probably not. It was mostly the same Yura we have been watching so far this year. His touches were not always good; he played with the ball too long at times and consequently lost it to the other team. To me, he seems to be the hungriest player on RSL, and wants to score a goal so bad he nearly wets himself every time he gets the ball. While I think that it’s a good thing to have such a high level of desire, I think that right now it hampers his success on the field. He pushes too hard to make things happen. I think that once he learns to play smarter and more patiently and uses that desire to push at the right time…look out! He has a ton of potential. Just remember, he is still very young.

Matias Cordoba: I thought he had an average game. Sometimes he looked great. At other times he looked a little lost. I think the communication barrier is still playing a big role in his ability to acclimate with the team. There is no doubt that he has above average skill technically. And his creativity could be a huge asset for RSL in future league games, so I really expect to see him play more and more with the first team as the season progresses.

David Horst: I stand by my earlier observations. He is a CB stud in the making. I really enjoyed the opposing players that just sort of bounced off of him as he fought for a ball (he is so friggin big). He misjudged a few balls but his speed enabled him to get right back into position.

Nick Besagno: He looked steady and solid. I wish he would stay healthy long enough to enable RSL to determine his worth. If he can’t, how long will RSL have to keep him around?

Robby Findley: He had another one-on-one that he failed to convert, though I think the pass was weighted a little heavy and thus made it a pretty easy save for LA’s keeper.

Tino Nunez: I was very impressed with Tino’s play. He did a much better job holding the ball while playing with his back to the goal than he did at the Lobo’s game earlier in the year. I thought his first touch was good and his distribution was fairly solid as well. He created some problems for LA’s back line. If he keeps progressing he just might find himself a career in MLS.

Brennan Tenelle: Brennan was another rookie that impressed me. He was fast, aggressive on defense, and even created a stir or two up front on the offensive end. My first impressions of this kid had me placing him near or at the bottom of RSL’s roster. But, he is starting to move up on my board.

Kevin Reiman: Probably my favorite player to watch this match. He showed good ability on the ball, quickness, creative footwork, and his communication with his teammates was solid as well. The goal he scored from the left side, hitting it just inside the far post, was a thing of beauty. I can’t wait to see this kid play more.

Overall, I thought the Reserves played a good match. I think the depth of this team should equate to a lot of wins in the Reserve Division. If you have a wife or mother that’s an RSL fan, maybe a trip to Park City this upcoming weekend would make for a nice Mother’s Day.