Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Real World Review: Wednesday May 28, 2008

A Real World Review
A Review of Week 9 for RSL
(Courtesy of Derek Hoopes)

This Weeks Results: 2-1 Loss against FC Dallas / 2-0 Loss against Columbus (Open Cup)

Record: 2-5-2
Points: 8

Key Developments: Winless streak on the road continues to plague RSL.

What's right in the Real World: Since I am in a rather foul mood as of late, and because I just threw my pitcher of RSL Cool Aid out the window, I should be able to offer an unbiased view from where I sit, in the stands, as an RSL fan. What’s right? Hold on while I go upside-down into the barrel of soccer trash and see if I can scrape something off of the bottom for us.

As disappointing as this season has been for us so far, one would think that the playoffs may already be sinking beneath the horizon of our future. But wait. I just found “What’s right” number one. We are only four points away from being tied for second place in the Western Standings, and only six points from first. Wow. Thanks to a seemingly weak western side of the league, RSL is still firmly within reach of making the playoffs for the first time in their existence. Things will have to improve in several areas to make this happen, but those needed improvements may not be that far out of reach for a team that (unlike last year) keeps fighting to get better. I don’t sense a defeated attitude from the team and that tells me that we are at least headed in the right direction mentally.

Hey! I found something else in here. “What’s right” number two shows me just how close to becoming a contender we might be. If this team knew how to close out a game properly, we could easily find ourselves feeling better about the season so far. Take our first game of the season against Chicago, the 2-2 draw against Los Angeles, and the 2-1 loss in Dallas last weekend (all winnable games), and close those out the way they should have been. That’s seven points dropped! We’d be at the top of the table singing praises to the soccer gods. I know that most would point out that not being able to finish games is one of the main reasons why this team is failing so far this season, but I would argue that we have the talent to succeed in this. If we can figure out how to finish, RSL would make a huge step forward toward making the playoffs this season.

There isn’t much else down here. I did get something caught under a finger nail while I was scraping the bottom of the barrel though. Oh look! It’s “What’s right” number three. Seven out of the next ten games are at home. RSL needs to gain more confidence. With more confidence they should be able to break through on the road. Let’s hope they continue to play well at home and find a way to finish their opponents off convincingly. No mercy please!

What's wrong in the Real World: Road Rash- RSL is absolutely horrible on the road. The Colorado game…well, I’m not even sure what that was. The collapse in the end at Dallas was a song I’m really getting tired of listening to. Jason and his crew need to figure this one out soon. If not, I’ll try to bring high hopes for the team again next year. Someone pass the rash cream.

Injuries- We have a lot of nicked-up players (Morales – groin, Espindola – hamstring, Joy – bone-spurs, Sturgis – hamstring, Olave – knee?), just to name a few. We’ve been unlucky in this department, but it’s something we have to deal with. And what is up with Sturgis? We really need this guy, but will he ever be healthy for a long stretch? Maybe we can put him in a protective bubble and let him play like that. Our very own “Bubble Boy”, think about it.

Coaching- Why do I feel like we keep getting outplayed by the coaches from the other teams? It seems like we can never quite get the tactics right and we are slower than a dead snail at making adjustments. Too often we allow the other team, or the field we are playing on, or just about anything, have too much of an effect on what we do. We need to dictate play more, not the other way around.

Naming Names- Ian Joy needs to pull his head out of the darker places of life. It’s easier to see what’s going on around the field when you do. All kidding aside, I know he’s a better player than he’s shown us this year. Come on Mr. Joy, we need you.

Mantilla…Mantilla…Mantilla. I like you’re demeanor, but please O’ please, crisper passes and concentrate on good defensive positioning.

Robbie Findley needs to find his confidence. His first touch is dreadful so far this year. Also, with his speed, he needs to learn how to beat a defender when he’s one-on-0ne.

A brief look at the week ahead: We have a lot of home games coming up. We absolutely have to take advantage of this if there is any hope of making the playoffs this season. A win this weekend against San Jose would make a great start.

Final thoughts: Ok, so maybe I kept a shot glass of RSL Cool Aid hidden in the back of my refrigerator. I just can’t help being more optimistic than not. As down as I feel about the team right now, I still can’t wait until Saturday rolls around. I thank the soccer gods every day that RSL is here for my enjoyment and agony.