Monday, April 28, 2008

A Real World Review: April 28, 2008

A Real World Review
A review of Week 5 in MLS
This Real World Update brought to you by: chronicrslnewb (aka Darin Hoopes)
This Weeks Match Results: 4-1 loss at DC United
Current Record: 1-3-1
Points: 4

Key Developments: RSL’s struggle to find results continues.

What's right in the Real World:
There have been a few mistakes, but there is no question the defense is improved this year. Borchers deserves a great deal of credit here (I hadn‘t even heard of him before this year), but I also believe it is due to the defense being more organized. If you are going to build a successful team that will perform consistently over the long term I believe the defense is the best place to start. We still have a long ways to go, but the play of the defense leads me to believe we are headed in the right direction. In order for us to start getting results we cannot afford a step backward of any kind in this area. Rimando’s continued solid play is definitely worth mentioning here as well. He hasn't had to do as much as last year, which is nice to see, but he has played well.

What's wrong in the Real World:
The midfield is having some struggles, but I’d like to talk about our greater struggles at forward. Deuchar and Findley continue to be an unproductive pairing. They are showing no signs of progress. You would have thought that Deuchar would be flicking headers for Findley to run on to, but it’s just not happening. I am baffled every time I see Deuchar running for a ball out wide while Findley is positioned in the middle. Findley still looks much better coming off the bench. He is not showing signs of developing into much of a multi-dimensional player at this point. He is frequently giving the ball away when he is isolated against a lone defender. How much longer will the coaching staff give him a chance to develop as a starter. I would have preferred to see Movsisyan get the start and then have Findley come in off the bench. I am really hoping that Espindola gets healthy soon.

A brief look at the week ahead:
San Jose Earthquakes at Real Salt Lake (LHUSOC) - During the DC United post game coverage on KSL Coach Kreis indicated that we would see some players get their first opportunity to play this year. No surprise there. I think it is likely that Cordoba and Seitz will be given a chance to start. A couple of other players should be given some game time as well. It will be interesting to see what the players will do with the time they are given. The team needs a solid win here.

Los Angeles Galaxy at Real Salt Lake - The Galaxy’s lineup is disjointed at best and their results should be inconsistent and streaky throughout the year. Donovan hit a hat trick on Sunday and also scored two goals in their previous match. LA will be coming into Salt Lake with some upward momentum. RSL’s offense has struggled to finish it’s chances in every game except the home match against DC. That gives added importance to the defense stepping up and keeping Donovan, Beckham and Co. in check to give our offense more time to give us a lead. Things could get ugly if LA scores first.

Final thoughts:
I seem to view every upcoming match as an important one that will reveal a lot about the character of the team. Well, guess what? I think the next three home games are very important, if not crucial, and will tell us a lot about what the rest of the season will be like. Some of the players, as well as Jason, appeared as though they had been emotionally kicked in the gut after the DC match. Up to this point it always appeared as though they still believed in themselves after every match. There are signs that they may have begun to question themselves. If they can pull it together and do whatever it takes to get a win in each of the next three matches it will be a very important step in developing this team‘s belief in itself. Ties are just not acceptable.

There was talk about RSL having turned the corner after the 4-0 win over DC at home. After this Saturday’s 1-4 loss at DC there has been talk of this being the same old RSL. I think the truth is somewhere in between. I have an overly optimistic history when it comes to RSL. However, I was not ready to say that we had turned the corner after the game against DC. I thoroughly enjoyed that game and it was a great feeling to win 4-0, but it was one game. I am not going to be throwing myself off the ledge after losing to DC at RFK either. Don’t get me wrong, I was unhappy. Every game is a big deal to me. Sometimes I wonder how healthy it is to be as hooked on RSL as I am. I do, however, agree with the idea that you shouldn’t get too high during the highs and you shouldn’t get too low during the lows. Our painful history over the past three years makes it especially difficult to be patient, but I still believe we are headed in the right direction. I know there will be people who disagree with me and I don’t have a problem with that. I don’t think that someone who says something critical about the team is somehow less of a fan. Whatever your opinion, one thing is clear. This team is going to have to prove they are for real by getting results.